Friday, July 6, 2012

Kemp Taking Route 66 as his Road to Recovery


by Kevin Zeni

As many of you know by now (and if you don’t, you must be living under a rock or outside of the greater Los Angeles area), Matt Kemp is currently on a rehab assignment with the Advanced-A Rancho Cucamonga Quakes of the California League. In his three games with the Quakes, Kemp has gone 5-for-11 (.455) with a double, two runs scored and four RBIs.

After DH-ing in his first game in Rancho, he has played center field the following two contests in San Bernardino. On Wednesday, Kemp fielded his one easy attempt in center, but lost track of a ball hit to left-center last night (Thursday) in a game where he otherwise looked solid in the field. While on the base paths, Matt still appears to be running at about 75% of his ability so as to not re-aggravate his hamstring injury prior to being reactivated by the Dodgers.



In the middle of Kemp’s rehab assignment with the Quakes, I was lucky enough to sit down with the Dodgers slugger to discuss how the rehab is going, as well as his upcoming All-Star Game plans.

How does it feel to be back in action?

It feels good, it feels really good. It’s good to be back and playing on a field again. It’s good to even be wearing a uniform again.

So far you’ve played three games with Rancho, do you know what the plan is for the remainder of your rehab assignment?

No, not really. I just take it day by day and whatever happens happens. I’ve just been going with the flow. The Dodgers, I know, have a plan, but I don’t really know what that is.

In your second game, there was a play where you rounded too far on a double and got caught. Did that have anything to do with your hamstring or was it just a simple base running error?

No, it was just a weird play. The outfielder (right fielder Randal Grichuk) came in to back up second and it just caught me by surprise.

When you were coming up through the Dodgers’ system they didn’t have a California League team. So how has your first Cal League experience been?

Yeah, back then I played High-A in Vero Beach, which is certainly different, but so far it’s been great. There’s lots of Dodgers fans that have been coming out to the games and support. It’s pretty cool to see.

Recently the Dodgers have been struggling offensively, especially with Ethier just hitting the DL. Have you felt any pressure either from yourself or the Dodgers to rush back?

No, not at all. Everyone there with the Dodgers is patient and wants me to come back right this time. Actually, we’re (the Dodgers) in first-place right now, so we’re alright.

You’ve spoken recently about still wanting to go to the MLB All-Star festivities and compete in the Home Run Derby. Is that still the plan?

Yeah, that’s still the plan, still captaining the Home Run Derby. I get to Kansas City on Sunday for that. I really want to go out there and redeem myself from last year and put on a show for the fans.

(Note: Kemp is referring to his two-homer showing at last year’s Home Run Derby in Arizona)

After re-aggravating the hamstring the last time you tried to comeback from your first DL stint, is there anything the training staff has you doing differently now to try to prevent further injury?

No, we’re just trying to get it back to where it needs to be. I’ve just been doing some more stretching, drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated and working to get it strong again.

Since joining the Quakes, it looks like you’ve made a connection with fellow outfielder Leon Landry. What is that relationship like?

It’s good, he reminds me a lot of myself. I remember when I was in High-A and all the things I would think about and wonder. What is it like to get called up? What will it be like when I make it to the big leagues? I just tell him to keep his mind clear and if you put in the work and the numbers are there that everything will take care of itself. While I’m here I just like to talk to all the guys and help teach them how to be successful. I figure if I’ve got advice to give, I should share it.

Did you have anyone who did that for you when you were coming up?

No, I didn’t. It wasn’t until I got to Double-A that I had a mentor that would tell me how to do things and how to make it to the bigs, and that was (former Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman) Junior Spivey. It took me a while to get a mentor, but when I did, he really helped teach me the way to go.

Lastly, do you have any final thoughts on the rehab or words for your fans?

Yeah, just that I’m feeling good and anxious to finish this rehab and try to come back stronger than ever so I can help the Dodgers make the playoffs and then just see how far we can get after that.

Click here to view Matt Kemp's MiLB.com player page.

1 comment:

  1. This is a well-written post, Kevin. I am so glad you had this awesome opportunity to interview an All-Star.

    ReplyDelete